NORclad Partner Products: Accoya® – FSC®
Accoya® wood is the result of decades of research and development that has brought together long-established and extensively proven wood modification technique – acetylation – and lead-edge patented technology to create a high performance wood ideal for timber cladding.
A Summary of Accoya® Wood
Accoya® high performance wood is suitable for wooden cladding and façades where aesthetics, less frequent maintenance, dimensional stability, durability and insulation value are key factors. Accoya’s® versatility makes it ideal for use in residential, commercial and industrial structures.
Manufactured using a non-toxic treatment and timber sourced from sustainable forests, Accoya® wood has properties that match those of the best tropical hardwoods.
Every batch of Accoya® wood is tested after production to ensure that its durability can be guaranteed.
Take a look at just some of the benefits:
- Accoya® wood is modified all the way through, not just at the surface.
- Coating maintenance intervals can be expected to be twice as long on Accoya® wood.
- Thermal conductivity is improved in comparison with softwoods and hardwoods.
Accoya® wood’s durability (resistance to rot) is Class 1, matching and even exceeding the performance of nature’s most durable woods such as Oak, Teak, Iroko and Sapele. Every batch of Accoya® wood is tested after production to ensure that its durability can be guaranteed.
- Class 1 durability – facilitating a longer life span.
- Lasting 50 years above ground.
Significantly enhancing the dimensional stability of Accoya® wood provides compelling environmental advantages over slow-growing hardwoods (which are often unsustainably sourced) and non-renewable carbon-intensive materials such as plastic, steel and concrete.
Properties of Accoya® wood match, or even exceed those of the best tropical hardwoods, yet is manufactured from sustainably sourced wood.
- Outstanding dimensional stability.
Accoya® has been certified at the C2C Gold level since 2010, as the only structural building material around. A large benefit of C2C certification is that, especially at the higher certification levels (Gold & Platinum) it contributes to several credits in recognised Green Building Schemes such as LEED and BREEAM.
At end-of-use, Accoya® provides no challenges whatsoever. It can be treated similar to untreated wood and thus can be re- or upcycled in various ways.
- Always sustainably sourced from abundantly available, often fast growing wood species.
- Use phase advantages: increased life span, less maintenance, superior thermal insulation.
- Non toxic and 100% recyclable – a perfect fit with the bio-cycle of the C2C philosophy.
- CO2 negative over the full life cycle.